Engine #9 - Install Sportster Startmotor
Life's a bitch... Thank God there's Harleys...
Here's a few pictures that T made during painting and re-assembly of the Harley Sportster startmotor and Bendix unit of our 1973 Ironhead engine.
Spraypainting the Sportster Startmotor and Bendix
After cleaning and degreasing we spraypainted the start motor, Bendix and subhousing the same silk black as the Ironhead engine cases.
Here's the cast aluminum subhousing of the start motor and bendix just after spraypainting.
Fixing the Sportster Startmotor and Bendix Assembly
Here you see how the Bendix has been fixed on the subhousing, and is ready for mounting onto the Ironhead engine.
Here the last bolts of the subhousing are tightened, next step is to install the start motor unit.
Testing the Sportster Startmotor and Bendix Assembly
After the complete startmotor was installed on the Ironhead engine we tested the whole thing. All works perfect!
Another milestone achieved!
Ironhead Engine Assembly Steps:
- Step 1 - Engine Case Assembly
- Step 2 - Oil Pump
- Step 3 - Cam Gears and Cover
- Step 4 - Installation of Primary Chain and Sprocket Wheels
- Step 5 - Fixing of the Compensating Sprocket
- Step 6 - Clutch Unit: Parts Cleaning and Preparations
- Step 7 - Clutch Release Disc: Installation Using Spring Compression Tool
- Step 8 - Startmotor: Cleaning and Inspection
- Step 9 - Startmotor and Bendix: Install and Test
- Step 10 - Primary Cover Back in Place
- Step 11 - Main Shaft Rollerbearing
- Step 12 - Oil Seal and Sprocket