Engine Step 1 - Motor Case Assembly
Life's a bitch... Thank God there's Harleys...
Once the matte black paint on our Harley motor case halves had dried thoroughly, we bolted them together. We gave the original nuts and bolts a thorough cleaning and brushing job, then re-used them to bolt the motor cases together. For this assembly we used a fluid gasket: Loctite Blue Silicone RTV number 6. This silicone based gasket material is very suitable for engines, gearboxes, etc..
Assembly of Harley 1000cc Ironhead engine cases.
That bright blue stuff is the Loctite Blue Silicone RTV number 6 fluid gasket.
All bolts were fixed using Loctite 270.
Ironhead Engine Assembly Steps:
- Step 1 - Engine Case Assembly
- Step 2 - Oil Pump
- Step 3 - Cam Gears and Cover
- Step 4 - Installation of Primary Chain and Sprocket Wheels
- Step 5 - Fixing of the Compensating Sprocket
- Step 6 - Clutch Unit: Parts Cleaning and Preparations
- Step 7 - Clutch Release Disc: Installation Using Spring Compression Tool
- Step 8 - Startmotor: Cleaning and Inspection
- Step 9 - Startmotor and Bendix: Install and Test
- Step 10 - Primary Cover Back in Place
- Step 11 - Main Shaft Rollerbearing
- Step 12 - Oil Seal and Sprocket